Monday, November 27, 2006

Converting my website to ASP.Net 2.0

I have put off converting my company website to DotNet for a long time. I never saw the pressing "need" to do so, and thus my website remained Classic-Microsoft-ASP (VBScript) since about 1998. But, times change, and I finally had some "extra" time (over the Thanksgiving holiday) to dedicate to making the conversion happen. And, since the hosting company I had decided to completely RUIN my SPAM-filtration when they changed mail-server packages (I went from getting ZERO SPAM to being inundated with it!), I decided to move hosts and move to a host where I already used ASP DotNet 2.0 for my new Gluten-Free Baking /Recipes Books site.

When I started the book sales site in DotNet 2.0, it was my first hands on experience with the latest features of the DotNet framework for ASP. I avoided DotNet 1.0 and 1.1 COMPLETELY since, imho, it left a LOT to be desired. ASP.NET 2.0 finally addressed a few of my concerns with the earlier frameworks, with the inclusion of "master pages" and other really nice features. These master-pages allow for a version of visual-inheritance of sorts, and is a HUGE step up from before. This is one of the features that convinced me to migrate my site.

So, I have it done, and only need to re-point the DNS entries to the new hosting company. Needless to say, my existing hosting firm has yet to reply to my "notice of non-renewal" I gave them -- in which I specifically told them to acknowledge receipt of! All the more reason I am leaving ActiveHost - they have been terrible with communications, and this is just one more occurrence. I have one more company hosted on their machines, but not for long... that too will be migrated soon. And, in all this effort, my ASP DotNet 2.0 skills (using C# = "C Sharp") have been improving considerably. I still much prefer working with Borland Delphi, but the development of C# was overseen by an ex-Borland guy that was a primary architect of Delphi from what I understand -- so, there are enough similarities to make the transition somewhat tolerable for me.

For anyone else that is sitting on "ancient" classic ASP web sites just waiting for a reason to upgrade, take a look at the DotNet 2.0 ASP Framework and features. They definitely represent an improvement over ASP Classic (a big improvement), and now that most hosting companies are supporting the framework, it should not be too tough to migrate.

No comments: